Part 7: From Saigon, we flew an hour to Siem Reap, Cambodia. This is where our trip selection originated as we wanted to see another one of the seven wonders of the world, Angkor Wat. The first afternoon we walked around and explored the city and the second day we had a full day (and I mean sunrise to sunset) tour of the sites: Angkor Wat Temple – the largest Hindu temple complex in the world, Angkor Thom Temple – Ancient Capital of the Khmer Kingdom, Ta Promh Temple – Fascinating Jungle Temple. Throughout the day we were supplied with ice-cold water, which in 90+ degree heat plus humidity was one of the best things about the tour we selected. The other reason it was the best was that it was a tour designed for photography, so we were taken to specific angles and places to get the best shots to take home with us. Also different from the other handful of tours, it wasn’t just us this time; another couple joined us from Cape Town. Clearly, with my obsessive love for South Africa, we got along quite well, so there was no issue. In fact, the woman with us was a professional photographer and will be sending her shots in a few weeks!!! JACKPOT. The third day we spent by the pool relaxing and out of the heat until our evening flight headed back around the world. Exceptional ending to an amazing trip on the other side of the world.
- Type of Luxury in the Sky: Vietnam Airlines, 1 hour, exit row again!
- Decibel Level: Respectful, Peaceful, Appreciative
- Deliciousness on a Plate: The food in Cambodia was very different than Vietnam, but delicious just the same. It can best be described as a combination between Indian and Thai food. Like I said, yum.
- Expanding our Horizons: I tried the fish pedicure and it was just as crazy and tickling as I had hoped, but with an end result of the softest feet I’ve ever had in my life – like a babies butt. Arion played pool with the locals while I saved a kitten stuck on a wall and we walked with the monks around the sacred temples. Definitely a wonder of the world.
- Shut-Eye: Somadevi Angkor Hotel and Spa – great breakfast buffet, delicious pool, perfect location – slam dunk, once again
- Jealousy Inducers: There are too many photos from these 2.5 days so just click on the slideshow to view.